Sara

January 8th, 2024

Barcelona Adventures: Exploring Gaudi’s Masterpieces, Park Güell, and Spanish Delights During Winter Break at LSE

Sara

January 8th, 2024

The winter break at LSE is about a month long so it leaves a lot of room to travel for those who do not have January exams. It’s also the perfect time to catch up on classes and review content. Nevertheless, as a study break, I decided to go on a week-long trip to Barcelona during the winter break. I decided to go with another LSE student and had an adventurous time in Spain. I have always longed to go to Spain since I have studied Spanish from elementary school to college and it is widely known that travelling to another country is one of the best ways to refine your speaking and writing skills.

Sagrada Familia

I discovered many of Antoni Gaudi’s masterpieces in Barcelona by just roaming the streets – they strike your eye easily considering the architecture of the buildings is extraordinarily unique and everyone starts taking photos around it. The intricate design by Gaudi has inspired many architectures today, such that his blend of the Gothic and Art Nouveau styles has created a visually appealing structure with incredible detail. The Sagrada Familia signifies a lot of spiritual essences and symbolises many religious concepts through architecture, making it a powerful and moving place for a lot of people as it tells a remarkable story. As I was told by the tour guide, the one Gaudi piece that everyone must see is the Sagrada Familia. Oftentimes, the entry for many of Gaudi’s masterpieces can be on the pricey side. Still, I would definitely recommend entering this one as I was speechless with the play of light inside the basilica. 

Sagrada Familia, Barcelona

Park Güell

This was definitely one of the more cost-effective attractions for tourists, especially considering it was one of Gaudi’s masterpieces. At first, when my LSE friend suggested we go to a park I was doubtful of how thrilling it would be in regards to sightseeing and viewing the main attractions in Barcelona. To my surprise, it was one of my favourite places we visited! The colourful mosaic work and playful designs in the park, such as those on the buildings and benches, brightened up our faces. We had a splendid little hike to get there since the park is set on a hill, providing panoramic views of the city. It was absolutely stunning to overview all that the city has to offer with Spanish background music. The park’s layout allowed me to wander through the unique structure of the gardens and walking trails. 

Park Güell, Barcelona

Spanish Food

The first time I ordered paella was at a tapas place so it had me wanting more. I ended up buying a very large one at a restaurant and fell in love with the flavours. It seems that the seafood paella is the most popular form of paella in Spain. This is expected considering Barcelona’s coastal location. Paella is a very flavourful rice dish cooked with saffron, vegetables, and various types of protein. I was also introduced to tapas in Spain: small flavourful dishes that are meant to be shared so everyone can try different flavours – I tried croquets (croquettes) for the first time there. 

Seafood Paella

Sara

Hi everyone! My name is Sara and I am a General Course student for 2023/24 at the London School of Economics and Political Science. I am in the Department of Economics at LSE and have enjoyed broadening my global perspective as I interact with international students and travel during breaks. I look forward to sharing my experiences with others as a Study Abroad Content Creator.

Posted In: Study Abroad