Zosia

Lessons learned from Autumn Term at LSE

Zosia

Lessons learned from Autumn Term at LSE

As the Winter break comes to an end, it’s a perfect time to reflect on the past academic term and focus on the future to make the best of what the Winter Term at LSE offers. As an undergraduate law student, the first term of my second year was busy and challenging, but it also had many fun and fulfilling moments which I’m looking forward to experiencing more in the upcoming term. Below I present what I consider some of the valuable lessons I learned from Autumn Term that I’ll be implementing in the future.

The most valuable lesson I learned from Autumn Term is the inexplicable importance of effective scheduling and time management. In my second year at LSE, I found myself having fewer hours of lectures and structured classes than before, which left me with more freedom to plan time for study, leisure, and other daily tasks. On the other hand, however, I had many more commitments related to LSE Students’ Union societies, being an active committee member of the Polish Business Society and the Running Club, which required me to spend long hours organising and running various events with other people. Those activities, together with a part-time job as a tutor, meant that sometimes my days were severely overbooked. I soon realised that taking some time of my day to carefully plan and schedule my tasks, including daily time to relax, was the key to success and making sure I stayed productive and on top of my work.

Coming into the Winter Term, I’ve already invested in a nice calendar, where I put all my deadlines, notable events, and plans, which will allow me to be even more organised and take better control of the amazing freedom that I must structure my week in line with my needs and wants.

The second valuable lesson is the importance of taking proper care of your health to make sure you can thrive to the best of your abilities. Taking diligent care of your health – both physical and mental, getting enough rest and sleep, as well as keeping at least some balance between academics and career-related activities and making time for friends and family are all crucial to being a great, high-achieving student and being a happy person, who does not get burned-out.

Being an active member of a sports club at LSE has helped me maintain fitness and physical health. It also gave me the time and space to have a few designated hours a week to meet up with friends and do something much different to sitting at the desk and studying. Another habit that has massively helped me with my mental health in Autumn Term which I’m bringing with me to the next, is making sure I stay in consistent touch with my family and friends back home. As an international student, it can be sometimes hard to make daily time to contact your loved ones, especially if time differences are involved, however, it’s extremely beneficial and guaranteed to make you feel better, especially during more challenging times.

Aside from the insights that I’ll be implementing in the future, Winter Term is also incredibly exciting and filled with many opportunities I’m looking forward to. Two events I’m particularly looking forward to are the Polish Economic Forum in March, organised by the Polish Business Society and a half marathon I am going to complete alongside my teammates with the Running Club. I’m also looking forward to further exploring career opportunities and attending various events LSE Law School offers, therefore if I apply all my Autumn Term lessons, it’s going to be a great and fulfilling term.

Zosia

My name is Zosia, and I am a first-year undergraduate student at LSE, studying LLB in Laws. I am an international student from Poland, and my passions include reading, writing, travelling and participating in all kinds of sports.