Anna

January 26th, 2024

Why I chose to Study Abroad at LSE

Anna

January 26th, 2024

Why I chose to Study Abroad at LSE

When deciding where to study abroad, there are a seemingly unlimited number of options. So, why did I end up choosing the LSE General Course program? 

While I was going through the process of applying, my university advisor asked me to first choose a specific place and then a program. However, the process did not end there, because we also have to research and make sure the program fits our credit transfer and course availability needs. There are a myriad of other considerations as well, from term dates to tuition fees and more. In comparison to other programs, LSE stood out for four reasons. 

Firstly, the General Course (GC) is a year-long programme allowing students to have an immersive experience and gain a greater understanding of the city of London. There is also more time to build a community, travel, and learn. Other programmes are usually one semester in length. I personally thought that it would be difficult to travel, study, and balance exploring a city in just four months. After finishing up Autumn Term, I realised I had only gone to three of the many places I wanted to travel to, and still had a lot of London left to explore. In terms of coursework, year long classes also provide a chance to delve more deeply into a topic, and I am enjoying getting to know my fellow students over a longer period of time. 

With the abundance of courses in the social sciences, LSE was the perfect fit in terms of course offerings. At my home university, I am an International Studies student with minors in multiple other social science fields. LSE not only had enough course offerings for me to meet the requirements in all of my study areas, but also a diverse selection that let me try new subjects too. The Language Centre also has high-level Mandarin courses for me to be able to meet my foreign language requirements back home. 

The GC is also a large and well-established programme, so knowing there would be a lot of students in the same boat made the experience a lot less scary. It was easier to make friends and navigate issues when there were many people I could turn to. The alumni network is also something that I was attracted to. Before coming to LSE, the New York chapter of the alumni network hosted a get-together where I was able to meet other GC students, helping me meet people before even setting foot on campus. 

Finally, the London location is unbeatable. Not only is LSE in one of the best cities in the world, but it is close to the action of central London and not on the outskirts. The campus is close to the Soho and Covent Garden neighbourhoods, and everything else is a quick bus or tube ride away. London is also an English speaking city that still has enough of a culture difference from the U.S. that personal growth will definitely be a result from my study abroad experience. 

The year-long length, plethora of social science course offerings, alumni network and program size, and London location are what make LSE a fantastic place to study abroad. There are many other reasons that may be specific to you as well, so take a look on the LSE website for other pros! 

Anna

Hi! I'm Anna, a General Course student for 2023/24 who enjoys reading and exploring new places.

Posted In: Study Abroad