Gauri

April 5th, 2024

Apart from studying, what else can I do at LSE?

Gauri

April 5th, 2024

LSE is a busy and exciting place. While it’s world-renowned for its academic reputation, the university also offers a plethora of extracurricular options while studying here. Engaging in these will not only help you develop additional skills, such as conflict resolution, teamwork, and interpersonal skills, but also help you become a well-rounded individual when you graduate from the School. 

Below, I’ve outlined a few extracurriculars you could consider engaging in as a student at LSE. Some of them I was fortunate to partake in, and I’ll highlight my experiences doing them! 

Societies

There are various LSESU Societies on campus, and l’d recommend following them on Instagram to see which ones are active and what kind of events they hold. I’d recommend the “three society rule”: one for recreation, one for sport, and one for your career.

In my opinion, societies are a great way to meet people who share common interests with you. They’re also a great way to gain career specific skills before graduation. This is especially applicable for competitive industries, such as consulting and private equity. 

I’m involved with the consulting societies on campus that help me meet other students interested in consulting and participate in consulting projects with external clients. Some of these are Castore Consulting, London Strategic Consulting, LSESU Enactus Society, and LSESU 180 Degree Consulting

Additionally, I like attending the laid back events of LSESU Literature Society to make a bookmark or discuss what I’m reading monthly. LSESU Grimshaw Club also offers four trips a year to various diplomatic missions around the world; this year’s options include Norway, Taiwan, Mongolia, and the Baltics. 

LSE Student Content Creators (SCCs) and student bloggers

At the beginning of the academic year, the LSE Student Marketing team advertises various opportunities to work as a paid blogger for LSE Students@blog, as well as a paid SCC for the School’s channels on YouTube, TikTok and Instagram.

I particularly enjoy writing and sharing my experiences, so I wrote an application to work as a student blogger, something which has been extremely enriching in my student life. 

However, since this is a paid opportunity, competition for places can get intense. I recommend keeping an eye out for these roles at the beginning of Autumn Term and putting your best foot forward. 

Student Staff Liaison Committee (SSLC) representative

This non-paid role was particularly very rewarding for me. As a member of the Student Staff Liaison Committee (SSLC), you’re essentially representing your peers at the university sharing feedback and suggestions on any parts of your LSE experience that can be improved. I’m working in the programme, as a Department of Management Student Representative to raise and resolve issues so that my peers and I can have a more rewarding time at LSE. Also, this would help improve the standards for students who come after us. 

LSE Volunteer Centre

LSE offers myriad opportunities to get involved with volunteering and giving back to the community. One of LSE’s principles is “to make the world a better place.” The LSE Volunteer Centre takes you one step closer to that mission. You can get involved in one off volunteering action or undertake a more engaged role with a charity. Currently, I work as a Student Volunteering Ambassador and as a Student Consultant for the Community Engagement Programme with the Volunteer Centre. The opportunity has allowed me to apply my academic knowledge to help a charity make the world a better place. 

LSE offers plenty of opportunities to enrich your student experience along with your classes and studying. Keep an eye out – read the School and departmental newsletters and follow the relevant social channels and you’ll be on a path to having the full LSE experience! I hope your time at LSE will be a fulfilling one.

Gauri

Hi, everyone. I'm Gauri, 24, from Mumbai, India. I study MSc Management and Strategy, a specialist degree in Managerial Economics. I'm excited for this new chapter at LSE! I have an undergraduate degree in Economics from St Xavier’s, Mumbai and was also an ERASMUS Scholar at SOAS, University of London. After graduating, I worked in finance at a healthcare company as well as in social impact consulting. Academically, I'm interested in the application of theoretical economic models to business case studies. In my spare time, apart from stressing about all the things I should instead be doing, I enjoy reading and exploring bookshops.

Posted In: Student life