Sophie

April 29th, 2024

Reflections from the Research Volunteering Scheme Pilot!

Sophie

April 29th, 2024

In October 2023, the LSE Volunteer Centre began our new volunteering initiative, the Research Volunteering Scheme (RVS), which serves to connect charities with the latest academic research via the LSE student body. Throughout the duration of the scheme, students conducted research in groups with the mentorship of LSE Volunteer Centre staff. At the end of the scheme, students presented their research findings to the charity partners. In this blog, you can read more about RVS student participants and their reflections on what they learned from the Scheme. 

To conclude the pilot of the Research Volunteering Scheme, we asked student participants from each group what the best part of the RVS experience was. Read their responses below:

City Year UK 

“The RVS experience has been immensely rewarding, blending perfectly with my academic pursuits. Engaging directly with City Year UK allowed me to apply theoretical knowledge from my studies and my Organizational Behaviour course from my Human Resource Management Master’s in a practical, impactful way. It wasn’t just about giving back; it was a two-way street where I also gained valuable insights into the complexities of real-world challenges, honing my problem-solving and research skills. This hands-on experience has enriched my academic and personal development, setting a strong foundation for my future career”. – Ira Georgia Stamatiou, MSc Human Resources and Organisations

Fairtrade Foundation 

“I was really happy to have been a part of the pilot batch of the Research Volunteering Scheme. Working alongside a diverse team from various countries and educational backgrounds was a highly enriching experience. Their unique perspectives and passion for the project taught me valuable lessons in research, writing, and problem-solving approaches. I also appreciated the opportunity to explore the topic of climate issues, as it provides exposure outside my program and allowed for the practical application of academic skills. Additionally, the opportunity to visit the Fairtrade office, where we received expert opinions, experiences, and feedback, was greatly appreciated. Overall, my time in the program has been very enjoyable and has broadened my horizons in many ways!” – Li Shan Ang, MSc Public Policy and Administration

The Research Volunteering Scheme has been such a rewarding and enriching experience! It was a privilege to work on a project that aligns with our values and academic interests. As geography students, it was great to be able to work on a real-world project exploring climate disruptions to small-holder farmers. We were able to draw on our coursework and apply it to a real-world setting, as well as receive useful feedback and insights from our charity partner. It was a great experience!” – Cliantha Dawit-Dessary, MSc Environment and Development

Lifting Limits

“The best part of my RVS experience was getting to connect with peers in different departments, therefore learning from their different experiences and specialties. This helped me develop academically and personally. Our work also benefitted from the different types of research we did, and the various ways we approached a topic. Working together in a group had its challenges sometimes, but overall, it was such a positive experience, and I realised that sometimes it’s good to rely on others and not be 100% independent.” – Aglaia Russo, MSc Gender, Policy and Inequalities

Nacro  

“I applied for the Research Volunteering Scheme to test my academic skills in a real-world setting, similar to the career I envision after graduation. Combining my interest in research and the charity sector, the Scheme perfectly aligned with my professional goals. Additionally, my experience in secondary research throughout my undergraduate and Master’s degrees seemed well-suited for the needs of the charity partner.

From the offered research questions, I chose one related to media framing, a topic familiar from my Master’s programme. However, the question also delved into the criminal justice system, a completely new area for me. Initially, I thought that the Scheme would only allow me to showcase my media and communications expertise (which I did get to do). I didn’t expect to emerge with a newfound knowledge base. Notably, being the only media student in a team of criminology researchers led to a fruitful exchange of knowledge, an unexpected but delightful aspect of the RVS.

Another surprise was discovering that I enjoyed being in a managing role. The RVS experience revealed a knack for setting deadlines, organising work, and being responsible for internal and external communication, skills I hadn’t considered before. Now I am confident that I am going to further explore this aspect of my personality and skill set.

Reflecting on my RVS experience, the wonderful people I met hold a special place. I am glad to have gotten to know my amazing teammates, students I likely wouldn’t have interacted with otherwise given our differing academic focuses. Additionally, I bonded with other student volunteers and the LSE Volunteering Centre staff who made a fantastic community to be a part of. Finally, establishing a connection with the charity partner was invaluable. Learning about their operations and how to best support such organisations was incredibly insightful.

While pinpointing a single highlight is difficult, the RVS journey essentially boils down to one key takeaway: learning more about myself and the world around me.” – Liz Dubova, MSc Media and Communications

Sophie

MSc in Gender, Media and Culture and Volunteer Centre Coordinator

Posted In: Volunteer Experiences