A key part of what LSE Careers has to offer is one-to-one appointments with our careers consultants. These discussions are an excellent opportunity to explore your options, better understand recruiter practices and discover how to present the best version of yourself to employers, or to simply figure out where to start thinking about it.
Once you’ve booked your appointment, it’s important you make the most of it. After all, we know you’re super busy and maximising your time for value is key!
Here are five top tips to help you prepare for your first careers appointment (and any others you might book after that!)…
- Think about what you want to get out of your session. Maybe you’re not sure about what industry you would like to go into, or perhaps you have a clear idea but just don’t know what step to take next. Write down a few thoughts in advance and bring these along to help shape your discussions.
- If you are a current student looking for feedback on your CV, you can book a careers appointment for that! First, make sure that you run your CV through CareerSet, an online tool that goes through your CV line by line to make sure it is strong before you go through it with a consultant, making your consultation more productive.
- Make sure that you upload any documents you’d like to discuss to CareerHub in advance. This might be the job description for a role you want to apply for, your CV or a brief for a written task.
- Have a look at our information and resources webpages and consider whether you would benefit from attending one of our events before chatting to a careers consultant. We have plenty of skills seminars, sector-specific alumni panels, and networking events you can sink your teeth into, so be sure to get involved with those alongside your discussion.
- Ahead of your meeting, if it’s online, download the Microsoft Teams app, sign in using your LSE email address (or another email address if you are a graduate) and make sure that you are in a quiet location for the appointment. If your appointment is in-person, make sure you check which building the appointment is in – many are in the LSE Careers Resource Centre, but we do conduct some sessions across different rooms around campus!
An extra tip for you…
Did you know LSE Careers has just launched Steer you Career, our very own podcast? Episode one is all about ‘Where do I even start? Making the most of your first careers appointment’ – give it a listen on Spotify now 🎙️
The team at LSE Careers is here to help! Planning for your future does not have to be scary – it’s all about taking small steps at a pace that’s right for you.
Find out more about how to book a one-to-one discussion with one of our careers consultants on the LSE Careers website.