Shachar Eyal

June 7th, 2023

Student experience: Shachar Eyal on being an International Development student organiser

Shachar Eyal

June 7th, 2023

MSc Development Studies student, Shachar Eyal shares his experience as being part of the International Development student organising committee. The ID Student Organisers plan and execute department-wide and programme-specific events and projects around three different areas, including social, academic and career events.  

Ever since I was accepted to study for an MSc in Development studies at the Department of International Development at LSE, I knew that I wanted to contribute to the ID community and help increase the connectivity in the department. Hence, when the opportunity to apply to become an ID student organizer came along, I knew this was what I was looking for and I was so thrilled that I was accepted.

ID Student organizers is a group of students from the Department that collaborate in planning, coordinating and executing events that enhance the sense of community among International Development students. The team focuses on organizing events in three areas: social events (such as parties and movie nights); careers and professional development (such as networking events with alumni from LSE ID); and academic events (such as topical panel discussions with faculty from the Department).

Because of my previous professional experience in recruiting and in the job market I was selected as an ID student organizer representative focusing on careers and professional development. However, from the first DESTIN meeting, it was clear there was full collaboration among all the ID student organizers and I felt I had all the support to suggest ideas in all the three areas mentioned in the previous paragraph, as well as getting involved in organizing any event that I was excited about. Additionally, the meeting cadence of the ID student organizers was approximately every two weeks and the amount of work it required of me fitted exactly with my busy schedule.

Throughout the year the ID student organizers team organized a lot of events that enhanced connectivity in the community. Among the most memorable events were: two movie nights for Halloween and Christmas with drinks and snacks; an amazing Thanksgiving dinner where all students brought in their favourite dishes; an Alumni-students mixer where students could meet with former students of the departments and learn about their career path post-graduation; end of term Potluck in the form of celebrating the incredible diversity of the department; and the Summer Semester Boat Party which will include a cruise along the Thames! All the events (as well as other events that the ID student organizers organized) had a student turnout and demand that always exceeded expectations and the feedback we received from the Department staff and students was very positive and motivating!

Film screening for Architecture, Art & Development, including Q&A with guest speakers Marlene Rutzendorfer (Wonderland Architecture) and Professor David Lewis (LSE ID). Image credit: Arkadeepra Purkayastha.
End of term potluck dinner, where students brought in their favourite dishes to share. Image credit: Arkadeepra. Purkayastha

Overall, I really enjoyed being an ID student organizer as it gave me an opportunity to get involved in activities beyond the day-to-day school work that help increase connectivity and support building the great community we have in the International Development Department whilst also getting to know my fellow ID student organizers team members.

If you are also looking to get involved in the community then I highly recommend for you to apply and contribute!

The views expressed in this post are those of the author and do not reflect those of the International Development LSE blog or the London School of Economics and Political Science.

Shachar Eyal

Originally from Israel, Shachar has a background in accounting, finance, management consulting and entrepreneurship. He is currently studying for an MSc in Development Studies in the Department of International Development.

Posted In: Student Ambassadors | Student Experience | Topical and Comment