As Steve has comprehensively blogged on this already: day1, day2 I’ll just add a few comments on e-portfoilos and some more stuff coming our way from the OU.

E-Portfolios
These have always been on the edge of my radar but they were highlighted in Martin Dougiamas’ keynote for v2 and again in Niall Sclater’s excellent review of the thinking on the future of VLEs / PLEs. Without really planning to I ended up spending most of day 2 looking at portfolios. The idea with regard to Moodle is that external E-portfolio systems will plugin to Moodle allowing for data to pass from Moodle to the E-portfolio.

So what is an e-portfolio and how might it be used? For me the best starting point is how the OU have named their own home-grown system: MyStuff which is an open source plugin to moodle to be released soon. It is intended as a personal space for students to create, organise & store their ‘stuff’: files, links etc and allows students to make them available to who they wish. The other system featuring highly at the Moot was Mahara (open source from NZ) which seems to go further and includes a CV Builder and social software tools. I liked the way the Mahara team were talking about developing links to other systems such as YouTube & Flickr, so not everything has to be in Mahara.

I went to a Moodle-Mahara integration session and Enovation (an Irish Moodle partner) have already developed this bridge. It has added “Add to portfolio” links to Discussion posts, assignments and quizzes and will be available to all in v2. I like this idea of being able to provide students with their own spaces, linked to, but separate from the VLE. Mahara pilot anyone?

Coming soon (from the OU)
I attended a couple of sessions that highlighted stuff the OU have developed. Firstly they have done lots of work on the Quiz navigation / submission. This will eventually be included in the core code (for v2 I think). It includes a WebCT-style panel showing you which questions have been answered and a summary page before you submit and better options for instant feedback.

Also available now from the OU is a new Resources Page – a Moodle resource that allows an editor to setup an index of files, links, feeds etc. This would allow you you take stuff off the homepage and i can see this working well. The other good one I thought was the “Calendar / Planner / Study” format for the homepage that they have developed, it just gives you more options for structuring your homepage.