I’m travelling back from Harrogate and the AGCAS “Emerging Technologies and their use in Careers” event and am taking advantage of the free wireless on the new National Express East Coast service. Excellent!

My sessions were well received and I felt the whole event went really well with a great set of speakers today building on my introductory tour from yesterday: blogs, feeds, podcasts, screencasts, social bookmarking, social networking, e-portfolios & PLEs, virtual worlds and wikis… and they all stayed awake thru it all 😉

I used a wiki for an evening homework activity which worked really well. The AGCAS Harrogate wiki also contains all of the presentations from the two days.

A word about the wiki

I looked at three free wikis for this: wikispaces, pbwiki and wetpaint. I rejected wetpaint first as I felt it was too busy and I wanted something cleaner. I initially went with wikispaces but I wasn’t happy with how it dealt with simultaneous editing which was an issue for this particular exercise so I selected pbwiki as it locks the page when someone is editing it. The delegates who in the main were using a wiki for the first time were very positive about it and I was very pleased with both how the exercise went and the performance of pbwiki itself.