There are countless reasons why the London School of Economics is a brilliant place to study, and we’d like to highlight why MSc Economics and Management can be a great choice for you.
The decision to pursue this multidisciplinary master’s degree has been extremely rewarding and we can only recommend it to prospective students for the following three reasons:
1. The uniqueness of the programme
What truly makes this degree stand out is the focus on leveraging the explanatory power of economic models to make informed business decisions. The three core modules are designed to bridge the fascinating world of economics with a more practical business world.
• Econometrics (EC486) aims to shape how you think about data analysis on a conceptual level but also equips you with the practical tools in STATA to draw sensible conclusions from the dataset.
• Corporate Finance (FM431) lies at the intersection between Economics and Management and covers the essential ways of how to evaluate investment decisions in a firm.
• The core of the programme is Firms and Markets (MG 411) and is taught by Professor Sutton, the director of the course. He is a renowned expert in industrial economics and can explain the relevance of these theories by drawing on business case studies in an exceptionally insightful way.
Topics range from competition between firms to the principles of market structure. The way we have interactively analysed case studies through the lens of an economist has been a real highlight and was crucial in developing a well-rounded perspective and strong managerial insights. Examples include highly relevant topics such as Amazon’s entry in the luxury marketplace and implications for established brands such as Gucci.
2. Countless career paths
We believe that in addition to being intellectually stimulating and incredibly interesting, the course will help you achieve your career goals. The MSc in Economics and Management will equip you with a unique way of thinking which combines analytical skills with strong commercial awareness. Having the ability to proficiently use statistical software such as STATA, a sound knowledge of corporate finance as well as the ability to understand the intricacies of firms and markets, allows you to succeed in a variety of industries. This way of thinking has enabled recent graduates to pursue careers in all sorts of sectors. These include:
• Strategy and economic consulting
• Investment banking and business development roles at FAANG or in FMCG
The programme will not limit you in your career choice at all – the opposite is the case! Leveraging this unique skillset will open the door to pursue the career path of your choice.
3. A cohort of bright minds
The cohort of the course is typically around 30 students, which makes the programme very personal and interactive. After just a couple of socialising events at the beginning of the term (in-person and online), we got to know each other as a cohort well.
The environment is very friendly and supportive – there is always someone that will help you with that Firms and Markets problem set or to review your CV before you apply for your dream job. Moreover, you will be able to connect and forge long-lasting friendships with some of the most vibrant and brightest minds in an extremely diverse setting. All whilst studying at the intellectually challenging and incredibly stimulating environment of LSE. It is the perfect opportunity to build a global network and kick-start your career.
We could not be happier with our decisions to pursue the MSc in Economics and Management at LSE and would recommend to all the brilliant economists out there who are interested in expanding their knowledge in economics and build up their business acumen! Please feel free to contact us – we are more than happy to give you further insights.