Alice (Shiqi) Yu

December 21st, 2016

An international student in London: My experience so far

Alice (Shiqi) Yu

December 21st, 2016

As an LSE student, my philosophy is that my academic study should not be the whole story for my Master’s year. In this post, I will share with you my experiences so far about life in London, especially for international students.

Don’t be afraid of leaving home to come to London. Life in here is going to be fun, so make sure you enjoy yourself! One of most attractive things in London for me is that everything is possible here. You can meet people who share the same ideas as you; you can see the history of the city in every street  you walk down. Magic is everywhere if you look for it.

Here’s a list of everything I have explored since I arrived here in October 2016..

October

alice-6As well as the different freshers’ parties at the beginning of the course, there are other activities and events which I enjoyed when I first arrived in London and started my Master’s programme in October.

Theatre: London is a good place to watch a high-quality theatre. It’s a great way to spend your nights and weekends. You have many options to choose from with hundreds of shows to suit the type of show you like.For example, one of my favourites is the “Phantom of The Opera”.

Weekend getaways: When it comes to the weekend, I’ve also planned  short trips to other cities, like Cambridge, Bath, and Brighton, to explore more of England just an hour or two outside of London. The only thing you need to prepare is a train ticket.

Halloween was definitely hottest topic at the end of October, with different themed events and parties. You can attend film clubs which will show the best horror films. Or you can pick your fancy dress costume and prepare to be scared at those Halloween events.

Christmas (November & December)

Christmas in London is definitely my favourite time of year so far. I love this city because of the atmosphere of romance everywhere in the winter season. Everybody is celebrating the approach of the end of the year, and the hint that New Year is coming. This is  a special time to take stock of the past and look forward to a new beginning.

I will introduce my Top 4 favourite festive events that I have experienced so far. You should definitely try these out while you’re in London!

alice-51. Christmas lights

Christmas lights are like a gift in London, adding sparkle to night. Every year you will find some of the most beautiful decorations and art installations around London. You might find different displays in Oxford Street, Regent Street, Covent Garden and Trafalgar Square. I liked exploring and seeing them all in person, and making a wish under my favourite. For me, it’s a moment that you can take a deep breath and appreciate the city around you.

alice-22. Ice skating

In winter time, you have to try one of London’s most spectacular outdoor social events: ice skating. Many famous London landmarks convert into ice rinks, normally runnig from the end of October to the beginning of January. Cool nights under stars, magnificent Christmas trees and music can light your night up. You can then have a hot chocolate or mulled wine to warm up in a cosy café. Somerset House ice skating is my personal favourite, located very close to LSE campus.

alice-43. Christmas carols

In case you don’t feel in the Christmas spirit, you cannot miss Christmas carols. Christian church carol services, where everybody joins in signing choral Christmas songs, normally occur before Christmas itself, and are a fantastic festive experience even if you do not have religious beliefs yourself. The first time I went to the St Paul’s Cathedral to listen the Christmas carols, I could truly feel the Dickensian Christmas spirit with the songs that reminded me of A Christmas Carol. Many of these services are free to attend.

alice-34. Christmas markets

Christmas markets are a great way for people to prepare the Christmas gifts for their families and friends, with stall selling some delicious foodie gifts, hand-crafted goods, jewellery and vintage accessories to help you get into that the real festive spirit. You can enjoy the Christmas lights and decorations, and find meaningful gifts for your friends.

There are many other winter activities in London,  for instance, Winter wonderland in Hyde park,  and some unbeatable Christmas shopping. You can find out more information at www.visitlondon.comwww.timeout.com/london and https://www.eventbrite.co.uk.

alice-1I hope this post has given you an insight into London life as an international student. I’ll be writing again soon with some more tips on how to enjoy London in the spring and summer.

Alice (Shiqi) Yu

MSc Management Science (Decision Science) student 2016-17

Posted In: Student life | The Student Lens