Laura Prelez Alcaide

June 24th, 2021

5 places to wander in London

Laura Prelez Alcaide

June 24th, 2021

5 places to wander in London

The saying that “not all of those who wander are lost” is applicable now more than ever.  

As we navigate through the COVID-19 pandemic and adapt to lockdown restrictions, we have come to appreciate long walks much more. For many of us, exploring our neighbourhood has become a regular hobby. Here my top 5 places to go for a wander in London and some ideas of what you can do. Whether you are in London or elsewhere at the moment, take note of these and let me know what other places you would add to the list!

1. St James’ Park

My favourite park in London. As the oldest royal park in London, the view from St James’ park is just incredible! The park has a nice lake, wildlife, and is situated close to historical buildings such as Buckingham Palace and 10 Downing Street. From there you can go to Green Park and Hyde Park if you´re up for a longer exploration. For me, it is a walk I never get tired of doing.

2. South Bank stroll

Along the River Thames, the South Bank is a great place to wander. My friends and I often go there to grab a coffee or mulled wine and walk around. You can also find Borough Market in the area, a great place to grab some food and explore different world cuisines. I also recommend finding somewhere to sit along the river and appreciate how beautiful the Tower Bridge and the Tower of London are.

3. Visiting touristy sites

With the streets being emptier due to lockdown, it is a great opportunity to explore the tourist landmarks of London. Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, London Eye, Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Circus, St Paul´s Cathedral, Kensington Palace…there is so much to explore! Now is a great opportunity to visit or revisit some of these incredible sites, with the added privilege of a less crowded scenery.

4. Picnic at Primrose Hill

Primrose Hill is a hilltop park with panoramic views over Regent’s Park and the city of London. It also happens to be next to Camden Town, so one of the things I like to do is grab food or an ice-cream at Camden Market and head towards Primrose Hill. Setting up a picnic with these views is quite a unique experience, especially on a sunny day!

5. Kyoto Gardens, Holland Park

And finally…yes, another park! The Kyoto Gardens is a Japanese inspired garden inside Holland Park, in West London. It offers a very different scenery and is an oasis of calm and tranquillity filled with Japanese features. Its colourful trees are worth the visit, and if you are able to go there during Spring, you will not regret it. Although it is hard to travel to Japan with the current pandemic, we can get lost in Kyoto Gardens and pretend to be there for a while!

There are great places in London to go for a wander, and these 5 are some of my favourite ones. Do you have any secret spots? I would love to hear about them in the comments.

Laura Prelez Alcaide

MSc Management of Information Systems and Digital Innovation student 2020/21

Posted In: Student life | The Student Lens