Srideep Mitra

July 20th, 2022

5 things I wish I knew before coming to LSE

Srideep Mitra

July 20th, 2022

Srideep Mitra, MSc in Management and Strategy Student Ambassador, shares five ways to make the most of your time at LSE. Career goals. Accommodation. Social life. London. Transport – all things to think about before you arrive.

The LSE Marshall Building

The opportunity to study at a stunning campus, right in the heart of London, is one of the most amazing experiences one can have. With your offer in hand, surrounded by one of the world’s most famous cities, it is easy to be overwhelmed by the culture, excitement, and opportunities that London and LSE offer every day.

While few things in this world are perfect, this has to be close. So, while I’m unfortunately unable to expedite your VISA process or complete your assignments for you, I can offer a few tips for how to make the most of your time at LSE.

Five Things I Wish I Knew Before Coming to LSE

1)  Keep Your Career Goals in Mind

When I first arrived at LSE, life was chilled and relaxed; it seemed that everyone was simply trying to take in their surroundings. Yet, the wisest people I knew kept their eye on the ball professionally, preparing, reviewing, and updating their resumes and preparing cover letters for their dream jobs/internships.

While it can be challenging at times to manage life in a completely new city while pursuing a rigorous master’s degree, the last thing that you want to do is to fall behind on job applications. Preparing essential application documents like cover letter, CV, etc. early in your time at LSE means that you will be ready to secure your dream position, leaving you with just 99 other things to worry about.

2)  Take it Easy While Planning Transport

Not many students get to live within a 10-15 min walking radius from the campus, mainly because of the sky-high rent and a scarcity of decent properties. Initially, it might seem like that life is over if you are not staying pretty close to campus; but have no fear, London has an excellent public transport network.

I live at Sidney Webb House, a 40 min walk from LSE, and while I was worried about finding a way to get to campus easily, I ended up using a subscription-based bike service, which enables me to reach LSE within 15 minutes. Fast transit and I get to burn some calories…double win!

3)  Don’t Overthink Your Accommodation

Imagine spending hours and hours to secure your perfect room, maybe with the view of the Buckingham Palace and more likely than not a Starbucks on the basement floor but end up being unable to enjoy it because of your busy schedule. LSE is known for its many, outstanding study spaces across its campus featuring world class architecture.

I have spent a lot more time on campus than I had initially thought I would, so while I love my flat, be realistic about how much time you’re going to be spending there.

4)  Make the Most of your Social Life

Your fresher’s week is going to be a crucial week as you will have an opportunity to make new friends from different departments, backgrounds, and countries. Trust me though, fresher’s week is not the end of your social interactions at LSE. Every society has a ton of social events lined up throughout the year that allow you to get to know people better. Meeting amazing colleagues with similar interests will spark intense conversations, allowing you to make new, life-long friends

5) Be You

You’re going to have an amazing time at LSE. Do not do anything solely because others think it is important, whether personally or professionally. Be you! This will not only make you feel a lot less anxious but will also add to your overall satisfaction and allow you to grow. Your time at LSE will go by faster than you think, so make the most out of the people you meet.

A plethora of societies exist at LSE to give you a taste of the fields they represent. This is the time when you will discover your true inner passions and what motivates you in life. You will meet other like-minded people, with fascinating life experiences, which will make you more informed as a person and scholar.

Tailor your LSE experience to a perfect blend of social and academic life, and you will truly have a complete experience in school.

Even though there’ll be super stressful moments during your time at LSE, you will not want this to end.

So, what are you waiting for? I look forward to seeing you around campus!

Learn more about the Master’s in Management and Strategy programme

Srideep Mitra

MSc Management and Strategy student 2021/22

Posted In: Choosing LSE | The Student Lens