Melissa Ngige

August 4th, 2022

3 Reasons why I love my course

Melissa Ngige

August 4th, 2022

3 Reasons why I love my course

Melissa Ngige is studying a master’s in Human Resources and Organisations (Human Resource Management stream). Melissa shares three reasons why she loves her course here at the Department of Management in London.

LSE campus buildings London

When I first moved to London on September 15th, 2021, I had no idea what LSE had in store for me. I was extremely nervous though ready for this new challenge which entailed beginning a new course that I had little to no experience studying but had plenty of passion for.

I thought this new area of study would be a trial and I that would find it extremely tough to grapple with new and foreign concepts. However, having gone through my course, I can confidently attest that things have ended up working out and I have indeed enjoyed it.

Below are 3 reasons why I love my course.

1. CIPD

To begin with is the CIPD accreditation that the HRO programme grants you access to. CIPD stands for the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, which acts as the professional body for the HR and L&D (Learning and Development) profession both in the UK and worldwide. It is a globally recognised qualification in HR that acts as a gateway to long-term career advancements within the People Profession.

One of the benefits of having this accreditation is that it is excellent for career development.

It will take you from industry novice to industry expert. As you progress through each level, advancing your career into new heights, you will acquire vital comprehension, talents, and strategies aiding and training you to be the best people expert that you can be.

Further to this, it being a globally recognised qualification is a huge bonus, which means that when placed in the working environment, you will significantly stand out through the skills acquired within the diverse CIPD platforms.

2. Practicality

Another important reason that I love my course is its practicality. Doing modules like ‘The Management of Human Resources in Global Companies’ has given me insights into the evolving environments. We learn things that are currently affecting our world. For example, the covid pandemic environment is causing a complete transformation from face-to-face to digital scope.

Again, this will be beneficial when entering the workforce as we are continuously learning about how to cope in a rapidly changing world and the crucial stake that HR holds.

Moreover, the analytical thinking skills that we constantly develop have been helpful when it comes to developing new modes to harness and capitalise on employee motivation.

In addition, there are regular seminars inducted by the HRO office that are not only captivating but are often student-led. One of the most interesting conferences that I have attended is an EDI (Equality Diversity and Inclusion) conference – an insightful session that helped us understand the positives of diversity and inclusion and why it is needed in the workplace.

Likewise, another thought-provoking discussion that I attended was run by my friend and took place during World Hearing Day (March 4th). The basic premise of this conference was to create a space for people with disabilities to feel more comfortable in the workplace.

Furthermore, there were skilful activities such as ‘hearing simulator’ where the practitioner would Introduce low frequencies to allow us to immerse ourselves into the shoes of people with hearing loss (ranging from no to low/high-frequency hearing loss). It was a tool for us to experience what life is like for an individual with hearing impairment.

3. The people

The final reason that I love my course is the people. My cohort is super friendly and extremely diverse. I have met individuals from countries around the globe that I never would have imagined. Being able to converse with them has been great as I’ve gained new knowledge in multiple topics.

Having this sphere of supportive interactions has really helped me develop my academic writing, strive to be my best, significantly add to my knowledge base all contributing to my all-around well-being. I cannot emphasise enough how beneficial it’s been to have such a supportive cohort.

I must add that these helpful interactions have aided my academic development through lecture or seminar discussions, which has helped me with my self-esteem.

Final thoughts

All around, my experience at LSE, although sometimes daunting, has been made easier by these three reasons. Again, being at LSE and studying this course has been such a fantastic experience as you strike a perfect balance between theory and practicality. Furthermore, surrounding yourself with the right people will enrich your experience and make it more exciting.

Learn more about our MSc Human Resources and Organisations programme.

Student Ambassador Melissa Ngige headshot

Melissa Ngige

Posted In: Choosing LSE | The Student Lens