Shahzaib Imran

August 17th, 2022

Did a masters at LSE live up to its expectations?

Shahzaib Imran

August 17th, 2022

Shahzaib Imran – A strategy consultant-turned Management & Digital Innovation postgraduate student and MISDI Student Ambassador – shares his views on the Department of Management and LSE. Read on to find out if a masters at LSE lived up to its expectations.

In the words of Michael G. Scott…

“I knew exactly what to do but in a much more real sense, I had no idea what to do”

(Yes, I quote The Office too much and yes, I am fun at parties).

I did not know what to expect when I enrolled for the MISDI programme at LSE. All I knew was that one year was going to pass by fast as we would not be here for a long time, and I wanted to make sure that we would have a good time! 🎉🎉

Being an academic hotspot with a large international community, diverse culture, buzzing nightlife and great career opportunities, it is not a surprise that London has consistently ranked as the world’s best student city, but I am not here to convince you of that.

Nor am I going to deep dive into why LSE is arguably the best place to pursue a master’s programme with its years of proven academic excellence and educational reputation.

Today, my lovely friends, we are going to talk about what I am studying at LSE and if it did meet my expectations?

The short answer is: Yes, I’m Lovin’ It! MISDI 💙

MISDI social event organised by the Department of Management

Let’s see some of the reasons why this was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

Truly distinctive 😎

MSc Management of Information Systems and Digital Innovation, or “MISDI” as it is more commonly known, is a unique programme. As not many universities offer this course, a lot of people do not know about it.

When I first heard about it back in 2018, its peculiar yet stimulating interdisciplinary nature seemed fascinating. Now that I am studying it, I realise it genuinely cuts across the domains of digital innovation & technology, management, social sciences, information systems, commerce and more.

This is what makes it exclusive and distinctive from all the other masters programmes.

Academic or Practical? Why not both! ⚖️

It is academically rigorous with its foundation laid in theoretical concepts and literature but at the same time, offers a great balance with practical insights through opportunities to participate in;

• a hands-on sprint week,
  • tech design,
  • consulting projects with external clients from the industry.

We have the option to choose from three electives in the second term making the learning approach more holistic as it builds upon proven theories grounded in literature yet offers a view into the futuristic landscape of technology and how it will change the way this world works.

In MISDI, Blockchain, AI, NFTs, Web 3.0 are not just buzz words!

LSE students learning about Open Innovation in Department of Management’s new home: The Marshall Building
Learning about Open Innovation in Department of Management’s new home: The Marshall Building

Still not convinced? Let’s move on to my favourite part of the programme!

Bright minds, everywhere 🌞🌞

At LSE, you do expect a great learning environment, but little did I know that my professors are going to be few of the all-time greats in their fields.

You don’t trust me?

Just do a quick google search for Prof. Chrisanthi Avgerou or Prof. Jannis Kallinikos and you will learn that they have been in their fields for longer than we have been alive. With their thousands of citations and decades of research, the discussions in the class become intellectually stimulating yet fun and engaging. (shout-out to Dr Carsten Sørensen and Dr Nadia Millington).

On the other hand, making this happen are a bunch of passionate and dedicated students from diverse backgrounds with interesting career paths. These bright minds will become your support system and you will have some of the best nights of your life with them and not just in the library – although that will happen too!

MISDI students at a party organised by Department of Management’s Student Ambassador

Your career doesn’t choose you; you choose your own career 🚀🚀

The interdisciplinary nature of the degree means you are free to pursue whichever career path suits you the best.

Management or tech consulting? Sure. Product management for Big Tech? Not a problem.

Interested in start-ups? They will love you.

Nothing suits you? Start your own company (FuzeQube to the moon – fuzeqube.com is a tech start-up by current MISDI students).

Interested to study more? PhD it is. Still unsure like a lot of us? You can take a break and figure it out!

Designing new product through service innovation LSE masters students in the classroom
Designing new product through service innovation

All in all, I can confidently say that I have been enjoying my time at LSE studying MISDI and all that it has to offer. I could not be any happier with my decision to pursue MSc MISDI at LSE and I highly encourage all the tech-curious students to go for this programme if you are passionate about the use of technology, its future and how it shapes the world we live in.

Get in touch if you are interested to learn more by dropping me a message on LinkedIn or DMing me on Instagram at @shahzaib17

10/10 – highly recommended!

21 MISDI students, 16 different nationalities at a Thai dinner organised by our LSE Student Blogger

Learn more about our MSc Management of Information Systems and Digital Innovation programme

Shahzaib Imran – A strategy consultant-turned management & digital innovation postgraduate student and MISDI Student Ambassador 2021-2022

Shahzaib Imran

A strategy consultant-turned management & digital innovation postgraduate student. MSc Management of Information Systems and Digital Innovation (MISDI) student 2021/22

Posted In: Choosing LSE | Student life