Grant Golub

June 4th, 2021

A Day in Canterbury

Grant Golub

June 4th, 2021

A Day in Canterbury

Over this latest Bank Holiday Weekend, I decided to get out of London for a day and take a trip somewhere new. Canterbury has always been on my list, but I’ve never managed to get there for one reason or another. Well, with the UK opening back up after a long lockdown period, I decided it was time to head to Canterbury and cross another town off my list.

Map of directions to Canterbury from London Victoria.

The ancient city of Canterbury in Kent is around two hours away on the train from London Victoria. I left London around mid-morning and got to Canterbury just after noon. It was a beautiful day in Southeast England, with warm temperatures, a shining sun, and not a cloud in the sky. I exited the train station and crossed a small footbridge that led me inside the ancient Roman walls of the city, which are still standing after thousands of years.

Many people are familiar with Canterbury because of its medieval cathedral and because it is home of the Archbishop of Canterbury, the senior bishop and principal leader of the Church of England, after the British monarch of course. Once I passed the Roman walls, there was a beautiful park with many locals and visitors alike sitting outside enjoying the sun and having picnics. It was such a gorgeous sight to see so many people outside after a tough spring of COVID-19 lockdowns.

After making my way through the park and an outdoor mall, I was on Canterbury’s main high street. It was a classic English town’s high street, with its picturesque houses, bustling sidewalks, and many local shops and cafés. It was so heartening to see so many people outside. Unfortunately, Canterbury Castle was still closed due to the pandemic, but the cathedral was open for business. It was absolutely a beautiful sight to see, and I highly recommend checking it out if you’re in Canterbury. After all, it is indeed the main attraction!

After seeing the cathedral, I had some lunch at an outdoor market filled with local vendors. The food was delicious and it was beautiful to sit outside. From there, I walked around some more and explored the city’s narrow streets for a few hours until resting on a bench in the park I saw at the beginning. I read my book for awhile until heading back to the train for the ride home to London.

If you’re looking to see another part of the UK soon and close to London, head out to Canterbury for the day. You’re going to really enjoy it!

This post was written in late May 2021. See here for the latest UK government guidance on coronavirus. Find out more on LSE’s response to coronavirus here.

Grant Golub

My name is Grant Golub and I'm a PhD candidate in the Department of International History at LSE. My research focuses on US foreign relations and grand strategy, diplomatic history, and Anglo-American relations.

Posted In: London life