Lisa Parfitt

Day in the life of a Master’s Student at LSE

Lisa Parfitt

During the last couple of years, the pandemic has changed the experience of higher education. When I was considering completing a master’s degree, I desperately wanted to know what my week might look like, so I could decide whether it was the right decision for me.

I am now studying MSc Social and Cultural Psychology, and although every department will be slightly different, hopefully, this will give you an idea of what the current learning structure is like at LSE.

I will start by outlining my weekly schedule, and then explain what my day consists of when I go into the LSE campus.

Weekly timetable

My programme at LSE currently has three types of ‘classes’ for every module you take, Lectures, Q and As and Seminars.

Currently, all lectures and Q + As are online, and the seminars are in person.

My first term weekly schedule consists of:

• Three lectures, which you can watch at your leisure, as they are all recorded.
  • Three Q + As, which is your opportunity to ask the lecturer any questions you have regarding the lecture.
  • Three seminars on campus, which are on a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

I will now outline my schedule when I travel to campus.

7 am- Read over breakfast

I usually wake up early as I commute to London from Lincolnshire. Before I leave to catch the train, I usually go over some of my readings whilst having breakfast. One thing to note, if you are considering starting a masters at LSE, is be prepared for a lot of reading.

9 am- Catch the train

I drive to the train station and get the train to London. It takes me about an hour to get to Kings Cross. I find the time on the train a great time to catch up on readings and get some quiet time. However, the train can get busy in the morning, so sometimes it can be challenging to concentrate. Travelling ‘off peak’ or ‘super off peak’ makes for a more pleasant journey.

10 am- The tube

Before starting my master’s, I was so nervous about getting the tube, as I found it confusing, and the massive amount of people was somewhat intimidating. However, speaking to people on my travels revealed that most people go through the same anxiety, and once you have travelled using the tube for a few weeks, it becomes ‘normal’, and you will find the convenience and speed of the tube a must-have.

10:30 am- Arrive on campus

Arriving on campus, I always grab a coffee from the Centre Building, and if I have time, I will sit and do a little more reading before my seminar. However, if you want a seat in the Centre Building, I advise you to get there early as the seats fill up fast!

12 pm- Seminar

I have three seminars a week, and all of them start at 12 pm. Two seminars run for an hour, and one is an hour and a half. Seminars are one of my favourite times of the week because you are given an opportunity to discuss the readings and listen to your classmates’ opinions. Most of the time you will be given activities for your seminars which are centred around the week’s readings, so it is essential that you do the readings if you want to take part in the class.

1/1:30 pm- Get some lunch in The Old Building

Although there are loads of great places to eat on campus, I like to eat a hot meal (especially in the winter), and the Old Building 4th floor restaurant is one of the only places on campus that offers a wide selection of hot food. I usually sit in the café with my laptop and continue with some assignments or readings.

2 pm-3 pm- Meet with the reading group

At the beginning of the term, we were assigned reading groups to discuss the weekly readings. I find my reading group helpful, as I can discuss my ideas whilst getting peer feedback. LSE encourages collaboration with your peers, which really helps to understand the material.

3 -7 pm – Independent study in the library

I take the latter part of the afternoon to go into the library and catch up on class readings or complete assignments. The library has many study areas, including group work spaces and ‘silent zones’, so it is suited to all types of study. Also, the library gets quieter at around 5 pm, so that’s the best time to get a good seat.

7 pm- Head home

I get on the tube at around 7 pm, and the walk through Holborn at this time is beautiful and the Christmas lights make for a charming walk. Then my train leaves at around 7:30 pm, and I take the journey home to read some more if I’m not too tired. But sometimes I simply relax and listen to music. I finally get home at about 9 pm and get ready to start again in the morning.

The days that I go into LSE are very busy and very productive. So, if you are thinking of starting a master’s degree next year, you can expect a lot of reading and a full schedule. However, I think the work is worth it, as you will have the opportunity to engage with some of the best academic minds in the country, and in my opinion, it is an experience that you will never forget.

Lisa Parfitt

I'm a Masters student commuting from Lincolnshire, studying Social and Cultural Psychology.

Posted In: London life | Student life | Study: Masters