Li Xuan

March 30th, 2022

How to overcome Zoom fatigue?

Li Xuan

March 30th, 2022

How to overcome Zoom fatigue?

Have you been suffering from Zoom fatigue? Follow these tips to tackle the side effects and to make the most of your remote meetings:

Get up and move!

Sitting for hours and hours in front of a computer with absolutely no breaks is not going to make you more productive! It can also lead to a whole range of other problems: back and neck pain, eye strain and fatigue that just leads to poorer quality of life. In fact, probably quite the opposite so make sure you take a breather every 15-20 minutes by doing a few rounds of walking or simple stretching exercises.

Ever heard of ergonomics? No, it’s not a fancy version of economics. In fact, it’s a combined science of psychology and physiology in fitting a workplace to the user’s needs to increase efficiency and productivity and reduce discomfort. To achieve this, you should follow this full list of tips which starts with the most basic concept of sitting up straight with the help of a chair that provides good support and keeping your feet flat on the floor.

Stay hydrated

Humans can survive weeks without food but try going without water and you’ll find that you may only last 2-4 days. I’ve had a look at the side effects and I can assure you that they are pretty nasty. So if you can’t find time to cater yourself at least have a glass or bottle of water next to you while you press on with your Zoom calls. I personally find that quenching my thirst makes me forget that I’m hungry and actually tricks my body into making myself seem full which has been proven too. Remember you need around 6-8 glasses of water a day! And no, you can’t cheat by drinking coffee or sugary beverages. But if you really must, you could snack on these water-rich fruits and veggies.

Another area of your body that requires special attention are your eyes as they can get dry pretty quickly and this issue can be exacerbated by the winter weather. You can easily find quality and affordable eyedrops to alleviate this symptom in your nearest Boots or Superdrug.

Learn how to say no

Tell the people you are meeting with in advance if you’ve had an especially hectic week or are dealing with personal issues and need to rearrange the call. As mental health awareness is such a big thing at LSE, I’m sure you’ll find more often than not that everyone is very understanding and will be more than willing to accommodate everyone’s interests. Turn off video if it’s not necessary so you don’t have the added pressure of whether you look presentable on screen. This also allows you to multitask – so no more excuses to neglect folding your laundry! If you’re lazy or didn’t get a good night’s rest, turning off the video also lets you join the conference from the comforts of your bed. This is particularly useful during the chilly winter months as you can keep yourself nice and warm without having to turn up the heating, making obvious savings!

Li Xuan

A Malaysian Borneo native studying MSc Environment and Development. Given my multicultural upbringing, I speak 6 languages which is partly why I chose the LSE and its very international student body! I'm also a R'n'B/soul/jazz fanatic.

Posted In: Student Life: Advice