Tia

April 15th, 2022

Need help? Go to LSE LIFE!

Tia

April 15th, 2022

Need help? Go to LSE LIFE!

Whenever you need help with your life at LSE, I would strongly recommend the LSE LIFE at the library.

Studying at LSE can be overwhelming. Readings, writing, presentations, let alone the exams! I was forever rushing from one task to another and afraid of losing control until I came across LSE LIFE on the ground floor of the library.

There are three types of workshops or events that I have personally found extremely useful.

1. Workshops about reading and literature. Reading could not be more important at LSE. Getting some basic ideas about how the library works and how to search for a bibliography is an essential skill for your studies. How to make effective notes or read efficiently might also give you some hints on developing your own reading strategy. Another benefit of attending these workshops is the soothing effect they have on my nerves — chatting with other students makes me realise that I am not the only person “trapped” in the reading list. And knowing that I could always approach LSE LIFE for help whenever I feel trapped again is even more comforting.
  2. Workshops about writing essays and dissertations. Writing is another crucial part of studying at LSE. A set of writing tasks are assigned to every student, such as formative essays, summative essays, essays in exams, and the big project of the dissertation. Do not worry, though. You can find a wide range of workshops on writing, from formative essay writing tips to exam essay standards, from exploring a topic to structuring a research proposal. As a student that had never written an academic essay in English before coming to LSE, I have survived all the writing tasks so far with the top tips that I have learned from these workshops.
  3. Events about exploring life in London. Studying is not the only thing you do at LSE. From the first day of the Welcome fair to the end of the Lent Term, LSE LIFE runs a variety of activities that introduce you to some exciting events and places in London. Visits to museums, theatre trips, river cruising, jogging in parks… you won’t get enough of it once you start booking! The only thing you should be concerned about is scheduling time wisely and squeezing out the time to go. If I tell you that I just got back from a tranquil English countryside trip organised by LSE LIFE, you’ll probably envy me. The fact is, I envy myself too! What’s more, participating in these activities is free to students, all the tickets and necessary fees are covered by the School. I would say that it is not only the free access to extraordinary events but also the sense of community brought about by these activities that amaze me the most.

So, keep this name in your mind—LSE LIFE. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Tia

I’m a postgraduate student studying MSc in Public Policy and Administration at LSE.

Posted In: Student life | Student Life: Advice