Jia

My Exciting Journey at LSE as an Uggla Family Scholar

Jia

In 2023, becoming an Uggla Family Scholar was a big moment for me. It meant I could go to The London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) and have an amazing academic adventure.

When I stepped into LSE on 18 September 2023, it was a dream come true. The welcome week helped me get used to LSE, and I also made great connections with the Uggla Family, making my time there even better.

Being an Uggla Family Scholar felt like joining a big family. Lance Uggla, the founder of the Uggla Family Foundation, shared valuable career advice with us in a casual coffee chat. Chatting with other Uggla Family Scholars, sharing stories about LSE, and talking about their summer internships made us feel like a close group. The support from the Uggla Foundation meant a lot and continued throughout the term.

Here are some special moments from my first term as a Uggla Family Scholar:

Fun Sessions with Will Meldrum, Uggla Family Foundation Director:

Spending time with Will Meldrum was a chance for us Uggla Scholars to connect. We also learned about managing our money in a workshop.

Learning from Cassidy Uggla:

Cassidy Uggla, Co-Founder & Director at 692 Productions, shared her journey in the film industry, inspiring us to follow our dreams. Her talk on starting a business was engaging and useful. Celebrating the end of the term with Will and Cassidy was a blast.

End of year social with the Uggla Foundation and fellow Scholars (including me)!

Networking Opportunities:

Senior Uggla Family Scholars set up events where we could meet successful people from different industries. In December, we got to chat with the CEO of Burberry, Mr. Jonathan Akeroyd, who shared advice on life and running a successful company.

Making Friends from SFU:

We had a cool event where we met scholars from Simon Fraser University virtually. Even though they studied different things at a different university, we all talked about how we could make the world a better place.

Virtual event with fellow Uggla Family Scholars from Simon Fraser University in Canada!

Always Supported by the Uggla Family Scholars Programme:

Every week, the Uggla Family Scholars Programme Foundation organised workshops. They covered everything from studying to mental health and career advice, making sure we were doing well at LSE.

Looking back, being an Uggla Family Scholar has given me so many great opportunities — from the supportive Uggla community to the constant help in adapting to London life, my first term has been full of chances to learn and grow. This scholarship is more than just a ticket to LSE; it’s a starting point for an exciting journey ahead.

Learn more about the Uggla Family Scholars Programme, which provides 10 undergraduate scholarships every year worth over £21,000 for each year of study, and hear from more of our Uggla Family Scholars like Jia Ren!

Jia

I'm a first-year student of BSc Environment and Sustainable Development with Economics at LSE. I'm on an exciting journey to explore the vibrant and enriching LSE study life, and I'm eager to share the joy of this experience with you. My interests extend beyond academics; I'm passionate about traveling and savouring diverse cuisines. If you find my content intriguing or simply wish to engage in a friendly conversation, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Posted In: Money | Study: Undergraduate