Anna

April 19th, 2024

My favourite things about LSE as a Study Abroad student

Anna

April 19th, 2024

After being here for almost two terms, I wanted to share some of my favourite things about LSE. I have really appreciated my time in London so far and if you’re considering studying abroad at LSE, I hope this will give you a little taste of what you could come to expect!

Campus

The size and design of LSE’s campus gives it a unique vibe that feels like you are in the middle of a small village, even though you are in central London. It doesn’t take too long to get from one end to another, which prevents me from being late to classes! My home university has a lot of colonial style buildings, so the presence of different architectural styles is a nice change of pace. The Centre Building, Marshall Building, and Cheng Kin Ku Building are all very aesthetically pleasing both on the inside and outside. 

International Student Body

Many schools boast a diverse student body, but LSE truly has an international student body. This means there are people in your classes who can share incredibly interesting perspectives and who grew up very differently to you, but there are also people with a similar background to you as well. This balance is perfect for the university environment because you get to feel comfortable as a part of a community but also experience a lot more from different cultures and immerse yourself in new situations.

Lunch Options

The fact that there are so many different lunch options right on campus is amazing! Wright’s Bar, the Shaw Café, and Kimiko Japanese Kitchen are all delicious options that don’t break the bank. They also don’t require you to walk too far from your classes or study spots! You can see the selection here.

Food Heating Facilities

Speaking of lunch options, the fact that there are microwaves on campus, which students can use to reheat their food, is a perk that I have taken full advantage of. This allows students to easily pack their own hot lunches. There are multiple microwaves in the Saw Swee Hock Centre as well as some in the Old Building and King’s Chambers. 

Courses

As a General Course student, I get to take courses across different departments. My favourites are HY245 ‘United States and the World Since 1776’ and PH222 ‘Philosophy and Public Policy’, both of which have significantly improved my critical thinking abilities. They have also challenged my prior conceptions about things I thought I was knowledgeable on, which I take to be a sign of true learning. 

These are some aspects of LSE that I have really come to appreciate over the past few months. Let me know what your favourite part of LSE is in the comments section! 

Anna

Hi! I'm Anna, a General Course student for 2023/24 who enjoys reading and exploring new places.

Posted In: Study Abroad