Apr 20 2023

In memory of Adeline Stuart-Watt

It is with great sadness that we announce the sudden passing of Adeline Stuart-Watt. Adeline was a Policy Fellow at the Grantham Research Institute, who joined LSE in September last year – focusing on climate adaption and public policy.

Adeline was an intelligent and professional colleague as well as a kind and lovely person. She is described by her colleagues as thoughtful, skilled, supportive, friendly, and collegiate. Someone who was not afraid of asking difficult questions and challenging ideas. She has made such a strong impression during her short time working with us at Grantham and will be very sadly missed by all.

As an Institute, we send Adeline’s family our deepest condolences, and ask for understanding at this difficult time.

A further tribute to Adeline will follow in due course.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to In memory of Adeline Stuart-Watt

1. Tom Overton-Skinner says:

I was immensely saddened to hear of Adeline’s passing. Having worked with her and through this, becoming her friend, I was always delighted and enriched by her keen intellect, her wit and her kind nature.

Adeline has made an inestimable contribution to many people’s lives through her work across climate policy, teaching and also, perhaps most importantly, through her friendships and relationships.

I express my sincere sorrow and sense of loss at Adeline’s passing. I hope that her family and other friends travel well through this terrible loss but find some comfort in the time we were able to spend with Adeline’s magnificent mind and cherish these memories we all have of her.

2. Alan Stuart Watt says:

Many thanks for your kind words about my lovely, princess, daughter, Adeline. lt is with great sadness l have flown to England to say goodbye and take her home to Australia. Adeline will be missed by all my family and her wonderful friends, especially Tristan. She cannot come to see me now, but one day l will go to see her and never be separated.
    From here Dad Alan Stuart-Watt.

3. Beata says:

Dear Adeline,

May the light be with your soul.

R.I.P.
    Beata

4. Colin McQuistan says:

I was shocked to hear of Adeline’s passing. I only started working with her in September last year, but in that time we had a number of 1 to 1 and group interactions both face to face and online and I always valued her insights, her polite but challenging questions and her supportive and engaging attitude.
    She was a very conscientious colleague who always made constructive inputs to our work. She will be sadly missed. I was really looking forward to her contributions to strengthen our work on flood resilience, and also bringing her intellect to crack the conundrum of climate injustice.

5. Manuel says:

I was shocked to hear of this tragic news. I’ve had the opportunity to meet Adeline a number of times in person during her time working for the Alliance. We’ve had many good conversations and I’ve grown fond of her as an intellectual and inspiring colleague. She will be deeply missed by all of us. R.I.P. Adeline!

6. sarah deasey says:

Members of the Yarra Climate Action Now Committee are so shocked and saddened to hear of Adeline’s passing. Adeline worked with us between 2017 and 2019 and we remember her warmth, intelligence and all her contributions to our local climate action cause. We are thinking of her family and other loved ones at this time.
    Sarah Deasey-YCAN

7. Philippa Chandler says:

I worked at University of Melbourne with Adeline in 2019, when Adeline, Tom Overton-Skinner and myself taught the subject Environmental Politics & Management. Adeline was a dream to work with: smart, thorough and generous. The three of us remained in touch via a WhatsApp chat. We last exchanged messages in January 2023 when Adeline described getting the ‘fun surprise’ of a free theatre ticket from her neighbour.

At the end of every unit, University of Melbourne sends a survey to students to elicit anonymous feedback about the subject. When asked “what was the best thing about the subject?”, students from Environmental Politics & Management made the comments below about Adeline, tangible evidence that she was a talented teacher and greatly appreciated by students.

To Adeline’s family: you are in my thoughts, particularly with the added complexity of overseas travel to bring Adeline home. I hope you are well-supported by LSE and other UK institutions, and that the cogs of international bureaucracy turn smoothly. If there is a public memorial event in Melbourne, I would like to come if that is appropriate.

Philippa Chandler
    pchandler@unimelb.edu.au

————————-

“I was also in one of Adeline’s tutorials and she was an amazing teacher. She facilitated discussion while also focusing our attention to what was important as well as relevant.”

“Our tutorial leader Adeline made a great effort to stimulate discussion, even though many people were not willing or didn’t feel like talking. She was always positive and encouraging. I think overall there was a lot of effort to welcome all opinions and points of view in discussion.”

“I liked to group discussions in tutorials! I also think Adeline was awesome whenever she joined in helping guide us, was super understanding of different views and interests and also was very good at explaining the more complex topics.”

“Adeline is a great tutor and I really enjoyed being in her classes. She was attentive and had great questions.”

“The tutorials (at least the ones run by Adeline) were very well handled. There was always lively discussion on the week’s topics prompted by Adeline’s incredibly well organised summary and talking points for each week.”

“Adeline always brought up epic discussion points and she created a space where everyone was free to say what they thought and I enjoyed every tutorial. She is inspiring and awesome!!!!”

8. Philippa Chandler says:

Philippa Chandler
    pchandler@unimelb.edu.au

9. Evan Davies says:

The news of Adeline’s sudden passing has come as a shock to us all. I worked with Adeline in the Climate Change Adaptation Team in the Victorian Government but our friendship continued after we both left.

Adeline’s passion and commitment to climate change was evident to all who worked with her. As a friend she was supportive and caring, had a wicked sense of humour and an infectious laugh.

Her untimely death is a reminder to live life to its fullest and pursue what you are passionate about just as she did.

Adeline, you will be deeply missed but will always be a member of the A-Team.
    Evan

10. Seona Dillon McLoughlin says:

It is always hard to find the words after such tragic news. I was lucky to have worked with Adeline through the Zurich Flood Resilience Alliance and although I hadn’t worked with her for long, she made a long lasting impression. The passion for her work shone through all of my engagements with her. She always had insightful and constructive points to make and wasn’t shy to challenge. Her sharp and intelligent mind was clear from the first meeting she attended. She also was such a lovely person, with a great sense of humour, and as the Irish say great ‘craic’ over a glass of wine. She will be dearly missed. Condolences to her family and friends. I can’t imagine all you are going through at the moment. Thinking of you all. Seona, Concern Worldwide

11. Amy Jolly says:

I was incredibly lucky to be introduced to Adeline through a mutual friend who had made the leap over to Australia many years ago and asked me to reach out when Adeline moved to London. I only worked up the road from her at UCL, which gave us a great excuse to catch up over a glass of wine after work and discuss all the things Europe and the UK had to offer in terms of adventure.

In the short period of time I got to know Adeline and call her a friend, I can say that she was incredibly smart, passionate about her work, funny, adventurous and all in all, a wonderful human being. I will always have Adeline in my thoughts and am grateful that I met such a brilliant person.

Thinking of all of her family and friends in what is an incredibly difficult time and sending you my love.

12. Sara Mehryar says:

They say that the rose that blooms once will eventually die, but those who loved its sweetness will never forget it. With death, everything is taken from our hands, but eternal love remains within us. And that’s what we have for Adeline – eternal love that will never die.

13. Jasmine Rhodes says:

I was lucky enough to have Adeline as a tutor for a core subject of my Master of Environment studies in 2019, and as a peer in academic reading and discussion groups thereafter.

I remember course coordinator Stephanie’s eagerness to introduce myself and my partner (another M.Env student) to Adeline at the start of semester, excited for Adeline to be our guide through the semester of Interdisciplinarity and the Environment. This memory represents to me the depth of respect that everyone in our academic community had for Adeline; for her deep intellect, her thoughtfulness and generosity, and her unwavering commitment to her values.

That semester ended up being an incredibly challenging time for me as I experienced academic difficulties and a deep personal loss. Adeline was there to support me in navigating such difficulties—validating my feelings and encouraging me to continue living in alignment with my own values and beliefs. When I encountered a great loss, she provided a comfort that just acknowledged my pain; she did not try to cheer me up, but just gave me the space to express my grief, embracing me in a warm hug. This is the way I will remember her—as someone who acknowledged the complexities of life and feeling, and who approached such complexities with understanding, grace, humility, humour, and quiet conviction.

Although our encounters were brief moments in the expanse of our lives, her kindness, intelligence, humility, and deep commitment to her values have left a profound impact on me. I know that this feeling is shared by so many people who were lucky enough to have Adeline in their lives—even if only for a moment in time. It is difficult to believe that such a profoundly impactful person has been taken so soon. I wish we could tell her just how much she is missed.

Now, as a teacher at the university myself, I often think of the teachers I had throughout my studies; the ways that they supported me, and the ways in which I hope to be like them. When I reflect on this, Adeline is—and always will be—right there.

I send my deepest sympathies to all who were close to Adeline. I hope that the connections that Adeline helped to foster between you can bring you all comfort and strength through this deeply difficult time.

With warmest wishes,
    Jasmine Rhodes

14. Michael Szoenyi says:

We are still without words hearing about the tragic incidence and will deeply miss Adeline, in fact already have missed her as we were embarking on planning the next phase of our Alliance’s resilience work that Adeline had onboarded to. She had seamlessly onboarded last September and we had the privilege to meet her in person twice in in-depth workshops that we run both in London and in Zurich. In no time after joining, she had turned into a strong and engaged member of the Alliance Management Team. On behalf of the entire Flood Resilience Alliance, we are mourning the loss of one of us, and sending our heartfelt condolences.

15. Lois and Mark says:

Mark and I are close friends with Tristan and met Adeline shortly after he did. She was warm, adventurous, and fun to be around. Her commitment to fighting for climate justice was an inspiration which will remain with us. We feel very grateful to have known her, and just wish we could have spent more time with her. She would often speak so lovingly about her family back home, sending love and strength to all of her family, friends and colleagues at this time.

16. Duminda Aluthgamage says:

Adeline was a strong, caring and inspiring person who influenced my way of thinking in many ways during our days studying International Relations at Melbourne Uni. She was committed to improving the systems of this world and had so much more to give this planet.

Though we hadn’t met in person in years due to geographical boundaries, Adeline continued to be a supportive friend and I am devastated that we were not able to reunite before this tragedy. I want to thank her for teaching me so much, showing me care, and being a loyal, brilliant and hilarious person who I feel lucky to have known.

Adeline was truly special. Even those who only met her once knew this. For everyone feeling pain and loss right now, we are united in this. My heart goes out to all of you who have lost a family member, friend, teacher and colleague.
    Her spirit lives on.

17. Duminda Aluthgamage says:

Her spirit lives on.

18. Anna Dunn says:

I studied and worked with Adeline at the University of Melbourne and we became friends through deep, caring and rigorous discussions. She was one of my favourite people to think with. She listened carefully, engaged deeply, challenged generously and kindly, and always had an interesting perspective to contribute. I have wonderful memories of her in our Green Stockings Reading Group (coordinated by Steph Lavau) providing super incisive, penetrating critiques or reflections that later devolved into applied chats about life on our cycle home. She had a very calm and poised presence, but was also a wonderful person to laugh with. She also always had the most stylish outfits!

I felt very inspired by Adeline and will continue to be inspired by her. Sending my deepest condolences to her family, friends and colleagues.

19. Jill Montgomery says:

Interacting with Adeline through the PCAN network since last September has been a privilege. Her competence was evident but her gentle-spirited approach to work set her apart. May her family be given strength and comfort to celebrate her life until they meet again.

20. Niamh & Raymond says:

It was only as I sat down to write this message that I realised we (my husband, Raymond, and I) must have only met Adeline two or three times. And yet, the impression she left on us was so warm and abiding, that I was sure we had known her longer.
    We were first introduced to Adeline by our friend Tristan at a birthday party. Christmas came around and we invited them, along with our mutually beloved friends Mark and Lois, for a small party. The six of us sat up until the early hours, talking and laughing. It was joyous. When Adeline spoke of her family, she did so with such love and longing. She was strikingly bright, insightful, and graceful, and her company effortless and comforting. When we said our goodbyes, we shared a hug and a little Xmas pressie, and I felt sure that this was the beginning of a new friendship. We looked forward to the many other nights we’d all share together. It weighs heavy on our hearts to know that we will not share any new memories with her.
    To her family and friends, we offer our deepest condolences. We have thought of you constantly since learning of Adeline’s passing. It was a privilege to have known her, in our small way. We were very lucky indeed.

21. Alexis Demetrious says:

I met Adeline at DELWP and was always stuck by her intelligence, composure and warmth. She was her own person and a serious thinker, thoughtful in her work and more broadly. She was also great fun, and I shared many good times with her and other colleagues who have become such wonderful friends. She has made an impact on me, and she will continue to do so. My deepest condolences to her family and everyone she touched.

22. Alan Stuart Watt says:

Adelline’s body was being held at Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow till the police investigation was finished.

After her release, I saw my daughter 5.30pm today at the funeral directors. Adeline will be cremated at 7am tomorrow. Her ashes will be bought back Australia by her mother and father. I would like to thank all those who worked with her in London for your kind words about my wonderful daughter she will be missed so much.

23. Chris Moloney says:

It is not easy to describe a person like Adeline. But if I had to describe her in a few words, I would say that she was one of the most intelligent, caring and wonderful persons I have ever had the privilege of meeting. She was also charming, serious, while also being surprisingly witty and hilarious when she wanted to be. She was unique.

I met Adeline in 2011 at the University of Melbourne and we quickly became the closest of friends. We spent almost everyday together during our master’s course, united in our love for South America, speaking Spanish, listening to Latin music and watching Seinfeld. She was also one of my first friends who really challenged me and made me think more deeply about a range of important issues – from politics, human rights and the environment.

Sadly we hadn’t been in touch for several years and while she has not been in my life for some time, she still played a massive role in shaping the person I am today. Now that she is gone, I deeply regret not telling her how important she was to me. Nonetheless, I will forever be thankful for the time we spent together and for being able to call her one of my closest friends.

Adeline cared deeply about the human and environmental challenges of our time and spent a lot of her personal and work life trying to make a difference. It is clear from the reaction of many on this blog and from others I have spoken to since her passing that this is true. Adeline made a tangible difference in this world and her loss is the world’s loss.

I am deeply saddened and shocked by her death. The world is a little darker without her and I extend my condolences and deepest sympathy to her family and those that were closest to her. I will forever treasure our short but beautiful friendship. Rest in peace Adeline x

• Chris Moloney says:

Sorry minor edit: should read ‘Latin America’ (not South America). Adeline spent a lot of time in Mexico.

24. Very sorry indeed to hear, and condolences to friends and family. I used to direct one of her degrees, the M Env at UniMelb, but not at the same time. But I am also a Londoner and former LSE lecturer, and for years in the 1990s I was part of a group associated with the London Cycling Campaign fighting for safer roads. Simon Batterbury, A/Prof, Univ of Melbourne.

25. Wolfram Dressler says:

My sincerest condolences. Rest in peace, Adeline. Wolfram

26. Gervase McKinna says:

From staff at the Victorian Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action:

Adeline was our treasured colleague. She was a calm, serious, substantial person — but had a delightful sense of humour and fun. As a co-worker and friend, she made us feel valued with her quiet attention and thoughtfulness. Adeline actively demonstrated her care for people. Flowers, a card or kind words in hard times; positive feedback on work (magically timed to boost flagging morale); wise advice given only on request.

Her strong academic background and sharp intellect were evident in her excellent work. And yet, she was completely humble and unassuming.

It’s hard to comprehend that someone so young, beautiful, vibrant and worthwhile is gone. We miss her so much. Our thoughts are with her family and close friends in particular.