Jan 15 2024

In Memory of Steen Mangen (1950-2023)

Photo Steen Mangen at Lake OhridIt is with the deepest sadness that the Department of Social Policy announces the death of Steen Mangen, who passed away suddenly in his home on 10 December 2023. Steen earned his PhD in the Department in 1977 and “re-joined” the Department as a “New Blood Lecturer in European Social Policy” in 1985 – the year European leaders agreed on the Single European Act paving the way for greater economic and political integration. Steen served the School as a member of faculty for 33 years, before retiring in 2018.

Steen was deeply committed to the study of European integration and had, growing up in Stoke-on-Trent as the son of a miner and a factory worker in the local potteries, a long-standing research interest in urban regeneration. At the School, he pioneered the teaching of European Social Policy and established a specialist MSc programme for those with an interest in the social integration of Europe. Steen ran the MSc in European Social Policy with exemplary dedication to his students – many of whom remained in touch with him long after they graduated from the programme.

Among colleagues and students, Steen was known for his extraordinary wit, which brought much laughter to the classroom and the Department’s tea kitchen. He loved the theatre and opera, and had a keen interest in architecture. Only the global pandemic could temporarily “pause” his passion for travel and learning about other countries. Steen was a polyglot who watched daily news programmes in Spanish, French and German. He never lost his active interest in Europe.

Steen’s unexpected death was a great shock, and he will be missed sadly.

Written by Timo Fleckenstein

This entry was posted in Department of Social Policy. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to In Memory of Steen Mangen (1950-2023)

1. Armine Ishkanian says:

I’m very sad to hear about Steen’s passing. He was a wonderful colleague and it was always a pleasure chatting with him. He will be missed.

2. Guevara Raul Diaz says:

I would like to send my heart felt condolence to Steen Mangen’s closest family and colleagues at the LSE. Steen passed away at a time when the age-old European identity crisis which in the past nourished the transatlantic revolutions is recurrent.
    We will surely miss Steen.

3. Ernestina Coast says:

I’m saddened to hear about Steen’s death. He was a kind and supportive colleague, with a profound commitment to comparative research and teaching on Social Policy in Europe. His epithets were pithy and legendary!

4. Hakan Seckinelgin says:

To hear Steen’s passing was a shock. He was always a very engaging colleague and would always stop by to have a chat. He was full of ideas and views on the daily politics/policy discussions across Europe. He used to test his newly learned words in Turkish on me and referred to Turkey as ‘Cumhuriyet’ (Republic). He travelled widely across Europe and enjoyed reflecting on his experiences. He was also a very shrewd observer of life in the Department and provided great support for me and others as we joined the department in his characteristically candid manner. He will be missed by many for years to come.

5. Hartley Dean says:

I had the good fortune when I joined the LSE’s Social Policy Department in 2001 to be allocated an office next to that of Steen Mangen, of whose work I had been aware, though hitherto we had never previously met. However, I rapidly discovered Steen to be a wonderful neighbour: a supportive and unfailingly cheerful colleague. His warmth, wisdom and wicked wit I came greatly to value and shall long remember.

6. Stephen Jenkins says:

Steen’s sudden death is terrible news. I remember fondly our wide-ranging conversations, mostly as we met around the kitchen. Topics ranging from the latest opera and music (esp. at ENO) through to the advantages of a Freedom Pass, as well as the other ones colleagues mention. I salute Steen as a wonderfully engaging cosmopolitan gent, much missed.

7. Lucinda Platt says:

I was deeply saddened to learn of Steen’s sudden death. Steen was a great colleague. Co-convening a course with him could not have been an easier experience, and also revealed to me that he had, in his forward-looking way, quietly pioneered the use of electronic reading lists, which are now the norm, but which then were rather alien to many of us. He would often drop by my office, and we enjoyed conversations about many matters: music, the latest seminar, his research ideas. Steen was unfailingly observant, kind and curious, ready to contribute an astute comment on a whole range of matters. I was also very impressed by his language skills and his readiness to add to his repertoire of European languages, and use them in his travels. I wish we had spoken more before he retired.

8. Tiziana Leone says:

Truly sad to hear about Steen passing. We spent many “breaks” talking about Opera and our common love for Verdi. We would often bump in the ROH balcony proud to have found the cheapest seats even though our backs couldn’t take it that much. His wit and sense of humour were endless source of amusement in the corridor, possibly what I missed the most when I left the department. A great colleague to have.

9. Peter Wilson says:

This is terrible news, Steen was a lovely guy with a wonderfully wry wit. We met in the Beaver’s Retreat 30+ years ago and soon formed a bond as it transpired that we had attended the same school in Stoke. We had many a laugh on how scarred we were by the experience and what a miracle it was that not one but two of us poor souls made it to the heights of LSE. Obviously some mistake but we made a point of meeting for lunch or a pint at least annually despite our busy schedules–Steen in SP and me in IR. RIP my friend you will be sorely missed.

10. Tania Burchardt says:

I found Steen remarkably perceptive about people as well as about ideas. He discovered all our foibles. But his warmth ensured there was always kindness behind the humour, and he was just as ready to poke fun at himself as anyone else. I learnt from him when we co-taught an undergraduate course, particularly about how to bring more of ‘myself’ into the classroom. Thank you, Steen, for all that you gave to the department.

11. Sarah Helias says:

When I first met Steen, I was struck about how down to earth he was. Beyond his academic career, he was an incredible human being with an ineffable wit, an insatiable curiosity for all heavily accented individuals at LSE (and we are many!) and always had time for colleagues and students alike. We became friends quickly: he would always storm in the PSS area in SP with urgent grammar questions to quiz me with and then lament at the unsatisfactory reasons I gave him for the many exceptions of my native language. We exchanged books, films and many coffees over conversations about foreign politics, his recent travels and any random topics. He was a real gent, and such a warm and humble presence. I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to say goodbye. I will really miss you Steen.

12. Sarah Helias says:

When I first met Steen, I was struck about how down to earth he was. Beyond his academic career, he was an incredible human being with an ineffable wit, an insatiable curiosity for all heavily accented individuals at LSE (and we are many!) and he always had time for colleagues and students alike. We became friends quickly: he would always storm in the PSS area in SP with some urgent grammar questions to quiz me with, and then would lament at the unsatisfactory reasons I gave him for the many exceptions of my native language. We exchanged books, films, and many coffees over conversations about foreign politics, his recent travels and any random topics. He was a real gent and such a warm and humble presence. I’m sorry I didn’t get the chance to say goodbye. I will really miss you Steen.

13. David Lewis says:

This is very sad news indeed. Steen was for so many years a key member of the department and his work exemplified so many of the strengths of the LSE social policy tradition – true commitment, relevance and open mindedness. On a personal level Stern always had time for colleagues and I will miss his sometimes scurrilous sense of humour and observations on the absurdities of academic life.

14. Julian Le Grand says:

Sad news indeed. Steen was an important part of the Department and a supportive colleague. As others have commented, he was also fun to have around. Among many other things, his going is a real loss to the European cause

15. Isabel Shutes says:

As others have expressed, it is so sad and such a shock to hear of Steen’s sudden death. He was a wonderfully charismatic colleague who lit up the corridors of the Department for staff and students. Steen had such a profound knowledge of and commitment to comparative European social policy, and there was always much to learn from him. He was famous for his sharp wit and unbeatable humour, underpinned by his deep understanding of and warmth towards others. It was a great privilege to have spent time working and socialising with you Steen. You’re a gem.

16. Sonia Exley says:

Farewell Steen. You were such a kind, thoughtful and wise colleague, passionate about your subject but also always taking an interest in others and always able to put LSE academic life into perspective. I will miss hugely your incredible wit, your mastery of Scots dialect, and of course supporting you in your frustrations with modern technology. Our corridor was never more fun than on the days you were in the office.

17. Ms Coretta Phillips says:

Since you left the department I have missed your irreverent humour and your profound decency. You were always straightforward and inhabited the academic world without pretensions. At our last meeting, we shared a homemade lemon drizzle cake and I will be reminded of your kindness whenever I enjoy that cake again.

18. Anne Okello says:

It was sad to learn that Steen departed in December 2023. I worked with him since I joined the Department until I left in 2017. I remember how he kept staff motivated through his humour and lively nature. I found it so easy to work with him through the academic cycle.

May his soul rest in peace.

19. Dianne Josephs says:

I was so very shocked at the news that Steen had passed away so suddenly. I worked at LSE in the Dept of Social Policy for 12 years – my office being opposite that of Steen’s. He was a most wonderful, down to earth man, who had the most infectious laugh and the brightest smile. He was dedicated to his work and to the progress of his students – the world will be a duller place with Steen – RIP Sir.