On 15 October 2014, Christine Whitehead presented on ‘Progress and priorities for housing in the capital’ at the Policy Forum for London Keynote Seminar.
Some key priorities raised by her presentation include:
- Determining whether strategies should continue emphasising just new build when this may not have much immediate effect on prices;
- Understanding how the recession has reduced household formation and how any economic improvement is likely to offset demographic changes, putting further pressure on the market;
- Understanding that the demand for housing rises also because of income growth – so economic success means higher demand;
- Acknowledging the inherent tension between success in the London economy and success in providing housing for Londoners;
- Accepting that while indicators will get worse, this is not a reason to do nothing.
Her full presentation can be accessed here: Progress and Priorities for Housing in London.