Madeleine

Day in the Life of an LSE Master’s Student

Madeleine

As a master’s student at LSE who also works part-time, each day looks slightly different and is especially dependent on my assignment due dates and work schedule. The day I’ve described below will hopefully highlight how busy and exciting day’s can be as an LSE student. 

8:00am — Good Morning

One of my resolutions for the new year was to wake up earlier on non-class days (when I would otherwise sleep in). Starting my day at 8am feels like a good time for me to start my day. After getting ready and eating breakfast I head to the gym! I’m fortunate to live very near to the gym, and the short distance motivates me to go often, even if only for a short session. 

My quick walk to the gym includes a dose of London greenery.

11am — Exploring

After returning home, taking a moment to rest and change, I leave again with my partner to explore our neighbourhood! Living in bustling East London, there is something unique to do each day, making it impossible to get bored. Today we headed to Dark Sugars, a fantastic chocolate shop in Shoreditch. I ordered their classic hot chocolate and I highly recommend it! 

Dark Sugar’s famous hot chocolate

More of what is available at Dark Sugars

2pm — French Class

Every Monday I have French class online through the LSE’s language centre. I always look forward to this class and appreciate the small class size and ample opportunity for speaking practice. 

5pm — Studying 

Personally, I feel I study best in the evening so I get a few hours of reading in before dinner and then study around until I go to bed. Today’s focus was on completing my prescribed course readings for the week ahead. 

7pm — Dinner 

Dinner provides a much needed break from studying. Recently, I’ve been making more effort in the meals that I cook for dinner, making time for dishes I wouldn’t normally make and trying to include more fresh ingredients. 

11pm — Goodnight

After a couple more hours of studying, it’s time for bed! A new habit I’ve gotten into is listening to French language videos while I get ready for bed. It’s a small effort to make, but it has helped me to learn new French vocabulary every night and to improve my French listening skills. 

Overall I would categorise the day above as a good day! As it was closer at the beginning of term I had less assignments due, more free time (no work), and was generally productive. Not everyday looks like this, but I certainly appreciate it when it does!

Madeleine

I’m a Master’s student here at LSE studying International Relations. This year I’m balancing my academic pursuits with exploring and enjoying everything London has to offer!

Posted In: London life | Student life