Sarah Schaible

November 1st, 2022

Why apply for an LLM at LSE?

Sarah Schaible

November 1st, 2022

Why apply for an LLM at LSE?

When I was applying for postgraduate study at LSE over a year ago now, I was still somewhat undecided about whether I wanted to invest in a degree beyond my undergraduate education. Therefore, I wanted to outline some reasons to consider when trying to work out whether to study an LLM at LSE. There are many other reasons that you could want to apply for a postgraduate degree or an LLM, though I have found these ones to be the most commonly mentioned amongst my peers.

Variety of courses and freedom of choice

This was one of the main reasons why I chose the LSE LLM course over others. As someone who has come straight out of undergraduate studies, I wanted to specialise, yet keep a certain amount of breadth to my studies in order not to close off any career routes. LSE Law School makes it very easy to let you study whatever you want. There are tons of modules to choose from in most areas of law, which you can find out about more on this website. If you do decide to specialise, the standards for choosing a specialism are also relatively relaxed. While half of your courses must be within that field, you are free to do whatever you want with the rest. Due to this, I have been able to expand on my interests, but also choose a couple of modules that were completely different to anything I had done before, which I can already say has broadened my horizon.

Career prospects

Another reason why a lot of people seem to opt for an LLM is to provide a boost for your career. There are lots of ways in which an LLM can make you more suitable for certain jobs. I would not say that an LLM will instantly guarantee you a better job. I received my fair share of rejections despite thinking I was suited for roles that corresponded with my specialised area of study. Therefore, do not expect the world from an LLM, though it is most likely to open more doors than it closes.

Making new experiences and friends

While the primary reason for choosing this degree will probably be a motivation rooted in your passion for law or career plan, this is another reason that many consider when deciding to invest in a postgraduate course. If you are from abroad or have studied outside of London before, living in London for a year is a fantastic experience that you will probably never forget. Besides, in the LLM there is such a large cohort of diverse people from all over the world that you are guaranteed to meet new friends and have great exchanges. Even if this is not a reason for you to decide to do the LLM, it is definitely something to look forward to.

Excellence of teaching

Finally, a lot of people apply to LSE for the quality of teaching. LSE Law School has recently ranked 7th place in the world for legal studies and it’s the best law school in London. Personally, I would confirm that the teaching has mostly been great during the LLM, and all professors are passionate about their subject and deep into their research. This is something you can benefit from as a student since there is a possibility for engagement during office hours and relatively small seminars.

I hope this has given you an insight into the reasons why the LLM at LSE might be a good course for you. These are just my experiences, and it is as above said a very individual choice. If you are considering the course and want to find out more about what it’s like to be a student, check out my other blogs, in particular, my day in the life and review of my first term.

Sarah Schaible

Hi, I'm Sarah! I am an LSE BA Anthropology and Law graduate and a current LLM student.

Posted In: Applying: Masters