Ananya Sharma

My experience attending an LSE public lecture

Ananya Sharma

This Tuesday I attended a talk held by the LSE European Institute featuring Belgian Prime Minister Alexander De Croo as the speaker. His presentation and following Q and A session raised some very interesting questions about the future of the EU which I hadn’t considered before, and made me much more likely to attend future LSE events.

Alexander de Croo, Prime Minister of Belgium, with Professor Chris Anderson, LSE European Institute, at the LSE Public Lecture, “Protect, strengthen, prepare – 2024 as a moment of truth for the future of the European continent” in the Sheikh Zayed Theatre on 23 January 2024

Enriching student life

Going to an LSE event like this one was a very new experience for me – normally the last thing I want to do after a day of lectures is go to another one! That being said the speakers that LSE hosts are engaging and informative, bringing up new viewpoints and exposing me to new fields and subjects I don’t know in detail, such as the EU and international relations. LSE prides itself on being a centre for debate and discussion, so LSE events are the perfect opportunity to practise your skills and ask leading thinkers and academics your burning questions.

Making the most of your degree

De Croo’s visit on Tuesday is one of several talks and exhibitions put on by LSE each week, covering all kinds of subjects from the importance of behavioural science to considering racial capitalism. As a history student, I’m particularly interested in the events held by my department but attending LSE events pushes me to go beyond my comfort zone and grapple with unfamiliar concepts. Diversity and variety doesn’t end in LSE’s student body – talks led by academics and prominent speakers in other fields helps me remain actively engaged in current affairs and appreciate different viewpoints, all important life lessons for the future.

The speakers

It might seem a bit obvious, but the biggest perk is definitely the speakers themselves, who are often incredibly funny and engaging individuals, clearly passionate about their work and eager to make a difference. I left the talk on Tuesday with a new perspective on Belgium’s role in the wider EU, and a wider appreciation for De Croo’s vision of Belgium as a formidable economic actor on the global stage. His comedic timing was also impeccable, for anyone curious!

The LSE Events are ultimately the perfect way to exercise your brain and network with different types of people – ranging from fellow students, to reporters, to diplomats and everyone in between, creating a truly enriching student experience unique to LSE.

Ananya Sharma

My name is Ananya Sharma, a first year undergraduate student from the UK studying History. As well as reading and studying history, I love listening to music, going on long walks in the city and trying new restaurants in the area.