On this page
National Secretariats are one of the oldest bodies within the ASEAN framework, being established under the original ASEAN Declaration. These bodies serve as a national focal point for ASEAN and facilitate cooperation within and amongst member states.
Each National Secretariat is responsible for:
- Serving as the national focal point for ASEAN
- Being the repository of information on all ASEAN matters at the national level
- Coordinating the implementation of ASEAN decisions at the national level
- Coordinating and supporting national preparations of ASEAN meetings
- Promoting ASEAN identity and awareness at the national level
- Contributing to ASEAN community building
Want more? View a list of the National Secretariats
How does it help tackling violence against women?
As the national focal point for ASEAN, National Secretariats act as links between civil society and the regional system as a whole. As a body concerned with ASEAN community building, overseeing the implementation of ACWC/AWC’s Regional Action Plan on the Elimination of Violence against Women will fall under their mandate.